Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thunder Rose



Today I have a book review for you. I've never actually sat down and reviewed a book for fun. There were book reports as a younger students but never self-inflicted. Today, I have a book report or book review for you.

Let's start simple.

Author:         Jerdine Nolen
Illustrator: Kadir Nelson
Publisher: Harcourt Books
Year: 2003

Genre: Picture Book / Tall Tale

Alright, I could give you more basic info, but I'm going to give my review and let you find the rest out for yourself [i.e. no summary to ruin the suspense].

It is important to remember that I read to one almost six month old baby who is fairly calm, relaxed and interested in books. We read at fairly regular times and sporadically in-between. And we read EVERYTHING [except textbooks and newspapers though we may pick those up in the future].

This book, Thunder Rose, took us three sitting to finish. It is very wordy and the pictures are all very similar to the cover photo. They are fun and straight-forward but not bright and contrasty.

This may make it sound as if I didn't like this book, but quite the contrary is true. This book is great and I'll buy it for my home library one day.

So, it was long and fun, but what did I love-about-it-enough-to-write-about-Thunder-Rose? I loved the language, the creativity and the joy in the images. This book radiated love and intelligence.

As a nanny I spend my days talking with children. I talk from the moment I arrive until the moment I leave. I sing, I chatter and I make things up. My goal is to expose these children to as much language as I possibly can. Early exposure to language has many life-long benefits. Hearing at least 1700 words EACH DAY is a goal every family should strive for. Reading to children increases literacy skills and keeping the variety is key - for adults and children.

I have to admit, more than eleven years of nannying, almost fourteen of childcare and before that being a child myself, I've read a lot of books. And if I'm bored, I'm not going to read it aloud. There is a great deal of effort and planning involved in reading aloud. Finding a good time, a comfortable location, keeping the child interested and making it worth while. Keeping myself entertained has become a given because it makes me want to make the effort more and more often. Some days I read six books to Ivy - then her parents read her two in the morning and two or three at night - that gives her almost ten books! And I'm not talking Sandra Boynton here, I'm talking traditional Grimm's, Dr. Seuss and H.A. Rey. Good stuff. Of course we do read A Light In The Attic, Mother Goose and My Dog May Be A Genius. We also sing. But picture books, new picture books from the library, are our candy. I check out twenty every two weeks and devour three that first day. I take suggestions and I check the new books bin. I make requests. With all of this input, it is easy to get bored.

What makes this book stand out is the language. Mingled in with everyday words and simple language are words like;

  • splendor 
  • billowy
  • daintily
  • disposition
  • commendable
  • punctuate
  • restrain
  • cantankerous
  • draining
  • parched
  • churning
  • meddlesome
  • contemplations
I literally talk all-day-long. I sing as many songs as I can squeeze into a day. We read whatever I can get my hands on. But these words? This mix of everyday, cowgirl-speak and warm good-naturedness just doesn't come up. I love that this book has exposed Ivy to these words. I love that the story mixes heart, manners and song with strength, creativity and determination. These are concepts I want Ivy to master. These are reoccurring themes in our world and this book encourages them with fun and depth. 

It isn't a quick read. It probably won't become an instant classic. I can't say I like it more than How Big Is The World, or that I'll read it as often. But I'm glad that I read it. I'm glad that Ivy heard it. And it's a book I'll recommend to friends. Check it out!