Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Evening Excitement

We had quite an even this week. A neighbor tried to make a fire in her fireplace and smoked us out! It was pretty rough. I called Roger and Sara to ask about their location and Roger seemed to be trying to tell me that things weren't as serious as I was suggesting. The funny part of this is that I'm at least 60x more relaxed about emergencies than most. Honestly. I approach things calm, cool and collected because if I were to freak out everyone around me would too.

Roger ended up calling me back a minute or two later to try and learn more. Apparently when he'd hung up the phone Sara told him exactly what I just explained to you. She said, "If Samara is calling it's probably pretty serious."

A few minutes later they arrived home and Sara freaked out. Her babies were born pretty early to be risking the health of their lungs over someone's stupidity. 

Apparently this neighbor has done this before. She knew she'd screwed up and unplugged her fire alarms. Our place was full of smoke and she didn't think she should even check on us our mention it. She knows there are two babies here. And I kept telling myself to relax because there wasn't a smoke alarm, it must have been a neighbor using a wood burning stove. 

Sara called 911 while Roger talked with the neighbor. There was a lot of excitement and a lot of drama. The entire place reeks of smoke. They opened everything up despite it only being in the thirties and colder overnight. We had three fire engines here and at least five fire fighters came tromping through the house. There wasn't a fire just lots and lots of smoke. The babies were tired, it was the end of their day, but held up pretty well. Because we visited with another neighbor while the house was aired we got to see something we probably wouldn't have otherwise. Jackson is developing some stranger anxiety. Tabitha not so much. We'll see how it develops. 

For now though, we're all fine, the smoke smell is decreasing and we're all looking forward to a quiet remainder of the week. Hope yours are equally calm, relaxed and uneventful.