Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Walking & Talking

It was beautiful here today, all the way in the mid-forties! We had to get out for a walk! Despite Jackson's lack of nap and the amazing tummy-time that was occurring I hauled both of them downstairs, folded them into their coats, grabbed their hats and my coat, and headed outside. Mr Sleepy protested his hat venomously. He wanted me to get the stroller in motion and continue until he'd had his fill of stroller sleep. With warm ears we all enjoyed our walk.

Aside from the weather today's best news focused on laughter. This evening, instead of our regular sling-nap, I was helping an evening babysitter get them to bed and didn't see keeping them up late for her, for their parents is fine, but for a babysitter? nope. As I was saying, this evening I was playing with them, talking, reading, just enjoying some social time together, and I had them both laughing! They don't really laugh much, chuckle and smile but not laugh, unless you tickle them. Then on the rare occasion they have each giggled. But tonight, without ticking or actually touching them, I had them each laughing! It was AWESOME!

In less exciting news, I talked with Roger and Sara about Mondays and Tuesdays. It wasn't a planned thing and I didn't expect to do so. But when I arrived and Tabitha was having a terrible time getting back to sleep I just couldn't help myself. Par for the course, Sara was attentive and open to my suggestions. Roger was defensive and tried to convince me that they need less sleep and maybe they aren't sleeping because they aren't tired. Not long into the conversation he excused himself to get ready for work. I explained to Sara that this is as east as it gets for setting routines and expectations. They sleep through the night and can't really do anything yet. No rolling over. No pulling up. No words. Offering that I'm cognizant of how hard it is to hear them fuss and/or cry and that it must be 100x harder as their parents. But letting her know that in a few months typical cries can turn into pleading with specific names or titles. It will get so much tougher.

She mulled this over, paraphrased what I was getting at and asked,
"It gets harder if we don't figure this out. But if we can figure it out, it will get easier?"
She was so hopeful. And right on target.
"Absolutely."
It can and will get easier, if we can be consistent and show them what we expect, enjoy and love.