Monday, November 19, 2007

Why am I a nanny?

Nannying is something I generally enjoy. I love babies and children. Working with parents can be challenging. Keeping busy, time management, daytime flexibility, independent thought, guidence, direction, getting a lot done in a short period, these are all enjoyable for me and things my job includes on a daily basis. It also includes meltdowns, making formula and changing dirty diapers. The good with the bad I really, really like being a nanny. I have been doing this for nearly a decade, I have met wonderful people and learned something from nearly every family I've worked with. During this decade there have been ups and downs and more than sixty children between Noarh and me. Of those sixty we had a dozen in our wedding two years ago, that was one of the major highs of being a nanny. Leaving a position because mom had gotten so used to my being there that when I was gone the baby nearly suffocated was one of the extreme lows.

In every position there are good days and bad days. This is true with life. Not every day can be fun, easy and great. But it seems that with my current position I'm having more bad days, with Roger and Sara, than good. I'm wondering if this is a good fit. I find it very frustrating to be questioned at every turn, on the other hand I'm glad to see involved parents that think about what is going on with their children. Generally, I'm a tolerant and patient person. I've been very flexible with my ideas and willing to try theirs, despite their lack of experience, knowledge or forethought. In the end my ideas are the ones that work, but with each new situation comes this compromise period that is exhausting me on a regular basis it seems.

Today I feel like a teapot that just needs to whistle incessantly. I'm so frustrated.
I live in New England. It is November. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that it is probably cold outside. And likely going to get colder. It is only November. Traditionally November gets chilly but January, February and March are cold. It is 35 degrees outside. Chilly but not freezing. I was outside for forty minutes this morning for my commute.
Roger and Sara come from a warm climate. They have been here for four years. They know it gets cold here, their house it a bit ovenlike. Fine. I adapt. I had them buy nice warm fleece snowsuits for the tomatoes. They have hats and bundle-me's. So when Roger calls because he has been outside for ten minutes to say,
"Don't take the tomatoes out today."
My response is less than positive.*
*How about a little background here. These tomatoes are little, almost three months adjusted or actually almost six months. They enjoy their sleep and get cranky whe they don't get enough. During the day they can generally handle 1-1.5 hour awake times. While they can snooze in their stroller for 20 minutes they generally don't sleep longer than that in it. In the car they complain, not sleep. An average day they take three naps, #1:1.5-3hrs, #2: 2-3hrs, #3: 45m-1.5hrs. Yesterday Roger and Sara took them out for six hours! They broke it up; car, stroller, car, store. Maybe Jackson and Tabitha slept two hours total. Maybe. Meaning today they are going to be tired, cranky and have very low tolerance. Being here for ten hours I need the option to get out of the house. I say,
"Roger, that makes me very uncomfortable."
"I don't understand your response. I said don't take them out. That's it. End of story."
"Bye Roger."

It isn't as if I decided this summer, hey I think I'll try being a nanny. I have a brain, I make good decisions and my judgement is pretty sound. Micro-managing me is the last thing I want from Roger and Sara and I'm feeling very, very frustrated this morning.