Saturday, November 21, 2009

Current Position

The job-search process was brutal. I've never really had much trouble finding a position I felt I'd enjoy. But I doubt my standards have ever been so high. My last position was great for my resume and great for exploring new perspectives, but it was tough on me. Tougher than I was willing to realize for a long time.

Over the course of four months I talked with at least fifty families. I interviewed with about twenty, did trial days with two, was offered three and knew this one was for me.

Interviews are an intense thing for me, I know, so out of character. A quick interview, post phone interview, lasts about an hour and a half. Most take about two hours. Two families back, when I met with Clover, I stayed for three hours. No interview had come close. Then I met with Mitchell and Helena.

Initially we talked on the phone, post agency interview, and my being weeded out of fifty candidates. This specific agency requires video interviews as part of the application packet sent to families. It was my video that earned me the initial phone interview which led to the video interview and finally an in-person meeting.

We talked, the three of us, for about an hour and a half, then Mitchell had to get to work. Helena and I continued to chat for 3.5 hours longer! I was having such a great time, but we were half an hour from my house and my mother-in-law was due to arrive in an hour. I said my goodbyes - to Helena and her offspring - then headed home with the understanding they LOVED me and would call with an offer. The next day they called and the following Monday, two days later, I started working.

While I interviewed with a triplet family, 25-week-twin-family, twin families, sibling par families and everything in-between I ended up with a singleton. One, sweet, ten week old little girl. She was adorable-darling, the sweetest little thing. Just perfect. Ivy. Dear little Ivy. No health concerns, no issues, no reflux, no worries other than regular childhood concerns that every kid-parent-nanny trio deals with.

Honestly, I was kind of worried I'd be bored. Really bored. Mind-numbingly bored. But that's not really me is it? I don't really do bored. I do busy. I do productive. I do accomplished.

So what do Ivy and I do? We read. We work on tummy time and other gross motor skills. We sing. We get the [baby]laundry done. And [baby]ironing. And [baby] returns. And swim lessons. And grocery shopping. And when I feel like it I cook. When I don't, I don't.

It's really, really wonderful.


Lil' Ivy.

We've been together three months now.