Monday, January 14, 2008

Finally, back to work.

Today I played with the tomatoes! I missed them SO much! And they've grown! I can't believe how much Jackson looks like a little boy! He's so cute. While it wouldn't seem possible, Tabitha's cheeks have gotten bigger! Both of them seem taller and even more active. Rolling over is seen more often, although not predictably so, and Jackson is moving backward! He is intentionally trying to move toward things but going backward - the first step to crawling! I can't wait!

Today Tabitha rolled over during naptime and couldn't get back to sleep. It was coming someday but it didn't make any less painful that she's gotten so big, loud and opinionated first. We'll get past it, but like everything it will take time. Jackson is all over his crib and spending a lot of time against the bars. It seems that once he's there he can't figure out how to move away. Although his timing today was impeccable. He burped, spit and then rolled over looking very proud and completely avoiding a face full of spit. It was extremely impressive.

While I was away, five full days, Roger and Sara not only managed but thrived, even taking an entire day and having an adventure. It was the first time the tomatoes sat inside of a restaurant! (I wish Roger and Sara hadn't taken them inside during RSV season, but I'm impressed at how relaxed they are feeling.) They sat near the door so there was a constant supply of fresh air and weren't around any other people. Both said they felt relaxed and enjoyed themselves. The tomatoes were calm and social. Aside from very little napping, which happens, it sounds like the perfect day. I'm glad they are feeling so comfortable and up to taking adventures. They are really enjoying being parents and having fun with their tomatoes.

Tabitha has moved into the next size of diapers and they are onto another new food - carrots - yum! The GI says Jackson is doing well but to continue as we have been, increasing his pr.losec because of his weight gain, which was adequate. We're working toward a minimum of 22 ounces a day for him, Sara says they get close to that on a regular day and I always pass it so no worries. If we didn't have cheeky-Tabitha to compare him to he'd seem perfect, which he is.

I'm still not 100% myself, but my cough is gone, energy levels are up and (sorry if this is tmi) my mucus is clear, all signs that I'm on the up and up. Because I'm still runny I'm a walking advertisement for Pure11 and I can't kiss the tomatoes. It's really hard not to. Which is kind of funny. I never used to kiss the babies I cared for, honestly. I worried it would make the parents uncomfortable (I worked for a mom who spent so little time with her child that when the child would get hurt she'd prefer me, this was without giving her loads of physical affection and not being allowed to hold her, mom was also pretty insecure). Then I worked for this awesome family in California, Nick and Bree, who lavished love on each other, Ethan and Ava, Norah and me. It was wonderful and Bree wouldn't hear of Norah and I not bathing her children in hugs, kisses and endearments. She knew Ethan and Ava loved her and them showing us affection or the other way around, couldn't threaten that. Ever since working with them we've sought out confident families with parents that don't fear affectionate, loving caregivers for their children. It is hard for some to understand, but if you think of it in terms of extended family; an only child doesn't have more love to give than one with many siblings and cousins, there's always enough love. Thus, not being able to kiss and snuggle the tomatoes is really, really tough.