Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween 2007

What a long day.
Norah and I went trick or treating with our dog. It was great and relaxed and fun. After a bit of wandering through the busiest trick-or-treating area in downtown we decided to grab a bite, at our favorite pizza by the slice place. Like other nights before we leashed Basel to a parking meter and went inside, always keeping an eye on our spoiled puppy getting loads of love from passers-by. As we were relaxing into our second slices in trots Basel. No lie. He'd pulled free of his collar and thought he'd come in for a slice. The best part was, he walked right inside to us. We were tucked back in a corner because the place was so busy and he knew right where we were. As appaling as it was to have Basel in the pizza place we were both secretly proud and glad he'd came straight to us instead of wandering off in search of friendly folks with candy. When I took him back outside, sans pizza, to leash him back, there was his collar dangling from the leash, I can't imagine how sad I would of been had we come out and found that rather than having him come in and find us.

On the nanny front it was a very long and very exhausting day - in all of the best ways.
Roger, Sara and I took Jackson and Tabitha to visit the pediatrician. He said they looked great and then prattled on some crap low expectations, generalizations and complete lack of insight. He really annoyed me today and I disagreed with 90% of what he said. Aside from that, Tabitha is up to 13lbs4oz and she grew two inches! Jackson is up to 12lbs even. They both gained double what we'd like to see - way to go babies! He increased Jackson's z@nt@c because he has been having a tough time connecting to the bottle but not really spitting up. I don't know if he needs more medicine but we'll see how it goes.

The afternoon was even more exciting than the morning. While the tomatoes slept, Tabitha on Norah and Jackson, good boy, in his bed, Roger and Sara carved their first pumpkin!!! We'd been talking about it for days and I tried to prepare them for as much as I could, the shell is hard, the insides are goopy, it is fun, messy and an experience. You can do it.

It was excellent. Sara cut open the top.
"This is hard work."
Roger came in, saw the pumpkin was dirty.
"Can I wash it? Can I use the sponge?" (we had a very clean pumpkin!)
They scraped out the insides - saving the seeds for baking and eating later. Then worked together to choose a face. Sara wanted heart eyes, Roger thought that would be too tough, so he made circles. Sara wanted a trianlge nose, done. They wanted a smiley mouth with teeth, tough but excellent work. Their process and final product looked like a first experience and it was PERFECT! I'm very proud of them and impressed with the work they did. I took loads of pictures and but lost a huge chunk in the middle too. I was extremely disappointed, but as I'm the one who knocked my camera off the table I can only be annoyed with myself.

It was a great day, a wonderful Halloween and now I'm beat!
Hope tomorrow is quiet and boring. :)