Friday, October 26, 2007

My "Aha!" moment

Yesterday afternoon I said forget it. I'm stressed. They're stressed and maybe a schedule isn't right for this family. I cannot explain to you how unlike me thing this is to say. I love a nice schedule. Routine suits me. And I get to lead on this front. But everyone - I man - EVERYONE was having a hard time. So who could it hurt to back off and relax a bit? I have to tell you, the fact that Sara argues/questions/discusses just like Norah could have a little to do with me doubting myself here.

Afternoon nap was spent mostly in my arms, in a sling, in the rocking chair with me holding 28.2lbs of baby - this being the combined weight of both babies. It was very relaxing and rest was had by all - including me. Afterwards I didn't push the evening nap, Sara insists they might not need this one and they never go down easy at this time in the evening. Of course as much as I've doubted the rest of the schedule I KNOW that they NEED this nap. But sometimes stepping back and letting go helps others to understand more. So, after a nice afternoon nap, I decided to skip the evening nap. They were playing happily on the floor until two minutes before Sara, along with Norah, came in. At this point Jackson was screaming because he wanted to be held but I was washing bottles. I'm short and not thin which makes it impossible to wash anything while wearing a baby in the sling, my arms just aren't long enough to reach around my belly, the baby and into the sink. Needless to say the rest of the evening they were exhausted and went to bed early. No one doubts they need the evening nap now.

Today I came in relaxed and ready to go with the flow. Sara left and babies continued to sleep. Five minutes before their bottle was due Jackson woke up. We chatted a bit, I changed him and started his bottle. Not far in Tabitha woke, same. After an hour of being awake Jackson looked tired so I put him down. Same happened with Tabitha. When Jackson woke a little early from his nap I took him in my arms and we rocked in the chair. He went back to sleep and I dozed. Much of the day looked like this, one hour awake and then sleepy. A nice long nap, Jackson needed extra snuggles to prolong his in the morning, Tabitha needed extra snuggles in the afternoon. Great, no problem - snuggles are nice for everyone.

Duing these two lovely, calm, slow snuggle periods I had time to think. Lots of time. And the more I thought about it the more I felt like I'd missed the forest because I was looking at a tree. I was so excited to have a schedule that even though 1:15hr seemed like a long awake time, it was what Sara wanted and what the book suggested. But it was too much for my tomatoes. They could do it the first day because they were rested from the weekend. But after that it was too much. That is why Tabitha was waking at 45minutes, she was overtired. I know this. I've seen this at least twelve times before, what was I thinking?! Waking up at forty-five minutes ALWAYS means over tired. I felt like I'd lost my marbles forgetting something so ingrained in me.

Now life is good. My tomatoes are sweet and well rested. Sara says Jackson is saying "boo" as of this evening. They are too cute. And now it is the weekend. I'm so freaking happy!!!