Monday, June 14, 2010

Crocodile Tears

Ivy has visitors pretty regularly. With each visit she seems to hone her skills. The girl is a doll, seriously one adorable toddler, but her social skills top the charts.
She can manipulate any situation she chooses. It started when she was a very small infant. She'd tailor her complaints to the person she was trying to coercer. Around fifteen to eighteen weeks old Ivy had each member of the household figured out. She cry for her dad, cough, as if she were choking, for her mom, laugh for the housekeeper and make tiny little pitiful sounds for me. And it worked! If she switched any of them they'd fail, but she'd keep them straight and they'd work, even after I called her on it and told everyone she was working them.

I'm not complaining nor am I demeaning her, this is a skill and Ivy definitely gauges each situation and chooses her tools. It is amazing how much children learn how early. I'm kind of frightened that once I have my own baby I'll be too inside to rationally evaluate each situation. Here's hoping a dozen years of practice don't fail me!