Wednesday, April 30, 2008

One day at a time . . .

Getting back on the blog-wagon seems a daunting task. But I'm telling myself if I just try one day at a time, I'll be there before I know it. So here I am again. Sharing the news of Tomatoes, New England, and the ponderings of this nanny.

(and apparently a lot of photo links!)

Tomatoes are doing well. Aside from Spring rain keeping us indoors, we're busy exploring our world - inside and out.

Jackson has figured out, by observing Tabitha, that crawling over to me and tapping on my slipper gets him picked up and kissed. He's very proud of himself for figuring this out and addicted to the kisses. Although, to be 100% honest, I'd say he'd enjoy being tickled and maneuvered about as much as he enjoys being cuddled. And I do interchange the two.

Tabitha has increased her practice time to include trying to stand in her crib. She's yet to figure it out but works at it for a good twenty minutes every time she's put into bed. Often she tries longer but she always gets tired and eventually goes to sleep.

Both Tomatoes are greatly enjoying the freedom that only comes after RSV season. They are extremely social babies and love interacting with strangers. I love talking with other adults, it is so much better than playing stroller goalie and making sure everyone keeps a five foot distance. And seeing the tomatoes respond to children is the best. Recently a preschooler made fast friends with both babies and they couldn't get enough. The chattering and touching and interplay between the three of them was beautiful. Little Mr. Jackson Smiles couldn't get enough. And Missy Tabitha Observer with her watchful eyes took every little bit in.

Sunhats are here and being broken in. Sunscreen is next and I'm looking forward to the increased freedom it brings. The park is great but I'm hoping to find more playgrounds near by. We need one of those playscapes for tiny kids surrounded by the soft turf to really encourage their crawling and climbing. Haven't found one yet, but there's bound to be one somewhere, right? I mean, nearly one year olds and woodchips just don't mix. The crawling and sticking. The mouthing everything and rolling. Those little hands and splinters. These combinations just don't work. Even sand would be preferable, although Roger wouldn't agree. He's very concerned about the idea of his little tomatoes eating sand. Says he never did it and they won't either. Have I ever mentioned that Roger was an only child?