Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wednesday:Update

Life here is hard, really tough, when babies don't nap. We're trying to get things consistent enough that there's no starting over every Monday. Getting parents, even intelligent parents, onboard is tough sometimes. Sara can see it one way and Roger another, of course being a third and separate person, I see it another and Norah comes in with an opinion of her own. What we've ended up with is a team of very helpful, invested and determined adults and two very sleepy children.

Change takes time, regularity and persistence. It's been three days and while it's tough now I know it will get better. As much as I love and respect Norah I've asked her to back off a bit because I feel like I'm trying to convince her as much as Roger and Sara when what I need from her is support. Unluckily for me Sara questions much like Norah does and causes me to doubt myself. This doesn't benefit anyone. We flip and flop and end up going in circles. With Norah's support, rather than help, I can remember that I do it this way because it works, and we can all move forward.

It may sound obvious or a little odd, but if your nanny doubts herself you'll doubt her and everything else. It's important for the person in the experienced position to be confident and help those around them feel that confidence until they find their own.